- Mami Tomoe (巴 マミ Tomoe Mami?)
- Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi (Japanese), Carrie Keranen (English)
- Mami is a veteran magical girl and a third-year student at Madoka's
school. She lives alone in a penthouse after the death of her parents in a car accident, during which she was only able to survive by contracting with Kyubey to save her own life. Her magical abilities revolve around yellow ribbons, which can suspend enemies, and be manipulated to produce nearly infinite amounts of Tanegashima-like flintlock rifles, as well as also possessing healing magic. Mami is characterized as being much like the stereotypical magical girl protagonist: she is particularly focused on saving those around her, with a traditionally selfless perspective on the role of magical girl, and has a habit of giving names to her finishing attacks. She had previously been Kyoko's partner – as shown in the drama CD "Farewell Story", and expanded on in the PSP game and The Different Story – but was left alone after they fought over their ideals.
- Though her outward disposition is cheery and confident, inside Mami
feels deeply alone as she has no friends to confide in or support her as she fights. Madoka offers to become her partner and save her from her loneliness, but Mami is subsequently killed by a witch named Charlotte, never knowing the darker truths concerning soul gems and origins of witches. In one timeline, she had learned the truth, then killed Kyoko and turned her gun on Homura in an attempt to prevent them from becoming witches, but was killed by Madoka. As for her actions, Yukihiro Miyamoto, the series director of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, explains that Mami carried out that action with calm, calculated judgment, as opposed to being driven mad or insane.
- In the final timeline, Mami is alive again, and fights along Homura and Kyoko.
- Rebellion shows that Mami has the potential to become the
most powerful of the magical girls if in peak form, when she isn't held back by her crippling loneliness, as a result of her meeting and becoming close friends with Bebe/Nagisa. In the ending of Rebellion, after Homura rewrites reality, Mami is seen saving Nagisa from falling packages of cheese, implying the two will become friends.
- Her witch form in the PSP Game is Candeloro, the Dress-up Witch, the smallest witch in size, being barely any larger than a teapot.